Isolated Flooding and Severe Storms Possible Today
...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM NOON EDT TODAY THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...
* WHAT...Flash flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.
* WHERE...Portions of piedmont and western North Carolina, including the following areas, in piedmont North Carolina, Alexander, Cabarrus, Catawba, Cleveland, Davie, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan and Union NC. In western North Carolina, Burke Mountains, Caldwell Mountains, Eastern McDowell, Eastern Polk, Greater Burke, Greater Caldwell, Greater Rutherford, McDowell Mountains, Polk Mountains and Rutherford Mountains.
* WHEN...From noon EDT today through late tonight.
* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- A low pressure system just west of the Appalachians will keep deep moisture in place across the area today. Multiple rounds of slow-moving showers and thunderstorms this afternoon through this evening will lead to the potential for 2 to 4 inches of rainfall with isolated totals in excess of 4 inches possible. This will result in the potential for flash flooding across the North Carolina foothills and Piedmont.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.
Isolated strong to severe storms are possible, with damaging winds being the main potential hazard. (See slide 2 for the Marginal Risk which is a level 1 out of 5)
Stay with Rowan County Weather for more on this developing weather story throughout the day and evening.