Flood Advisory from 8/28/2023 9:03 PM to 8/29/2023 3:00 AM EDT for Rowan County, NC
...FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM EDT TUESDAY...
* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected.
* WHERE...A portion of piedmont North Carolina, including the
following counties, Davie and Rowan.
* WHEN...Until 300 AM EDT Tuesday.
* IMPACTS...Nuisance flooding of low-lying areas adjacent to streams
and other poor-drainage areas, including farmland, parks, greenways,
boat-access areas, golf courses, underpasses, and parking lots.
Isolated, shallow flows over roadways is possible. A few flood-
prone, low-water crossings may become impassible.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 859 PM EDT, Doppler radar and automated rain gauges
indicated 1-2 inches of rain has fallen across northwestern
Rowan County, with heavy rainfall slowly moving into extreme
southern Davie County. This rainfall will cause significant
rises on small streams, especially feeding into the S Yadkin
River north of Cleveland, with some streams exceeding
- Additional rainfall of 1-2 inches is possible over the next
60-90 minutes. A Flash Flood Warning may be needed if
ongoing storms do not dissipate quickly enough Please stay
weather aware and be prepared to seek higher ground if you
are in an area vulnerable to flooding.
- Some locations that may experience flooding include...
Cooleemee, Cleveland and Woodleaf.
Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.
Stay away or be swept away. River banks and culverts can become
unstable and unsafe.